[Coral-List] what does this new analysis tell us???

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 19:39:44 UTC 2022

     I just looked back at the original webpage.  As Lauretta said, the
problem of overlap of different parts of it has been resolved.  Excellent,
thank you to whoever did that.  I had been unable to read the introductory
text before the world graphs.  Everything written in that introduction fits
with the graph and looks accurate to me, with one exception  I was
surprised to see a statement that  "Globally, it is likely that over half
of the world’s reefs have already been severely damaged or lost
<https://www.cell.com/one-earth/fulltext/S2590-3322(21)00474-7#%20>",
because the graph below that statement doesn't support that statement, as
far as I can see.  The GCRMN curve starts at 32.5% and ends at about 29%.
A 50% decline would be to 16%.  The statement I quoted above has a link in
it, to a paper that has its own analysis of a huge amount of data and
produced a graph of coral cover trends for the world.  I recommend taking a
look at this paper.
https://www.cell.com/one-earth/fulltext/S2590-3322(21)00474-7#%20   Open
access.  It indeed shows a huge decline, from about 70% to about 25%, so
MORE than 50% loss.  It shows the band of plus or minus 18% standard
deviation of the observational estimates from the earlier Eddy study I
referred to that surveyed people on their memories of coral cover.  The
beginning in time of the curve fits relatively well with those estimates of
a mean of 58-59%.
       Amazing, both studies using large databases of reef monitoring
data.  It looks to me like they produced different curves in at least two
ways, and one similarity.  The similarity is that they came up with fairly
similar estimates of coral cover (of about 30%) over the majority of the
time span.  The first difference is that this other study came up with some
even older data, which pushed the oldest part of their curve much higher.
The second difference is that this new data set does not show any of the
more recent declines and recoveries that the GCRMN curve shows.  If nothing
changed in the future and we extrapolated this new curve, there would only
be relatively slight and gradual decline in coral cover.  (that is surely
NOT going to occur.  Coral cover is predicted by everybody to go off the
cliff.)  But it certainly doesn't support the view that there have been
large recent losses in coral cover.
       This appears to be a paradox or conundrum.  My first impulse is that
they are using different data sets.  Probably some of the points are the
same, but others different.  The GCRMN data set doesn't include those data
points before 1978, and the second set has points going back to about
1958.  The differences at the start of the two graphs appears to be due to
those early points.  They contain relatively few dive sites, though from
the graph it is not clear how many but my guess is very few.  I wonder if
they might be from Tom Goreau in Jamaica?  Yosi Loya reminded me of his
pioneering paper surveying reefs in Eilat, Israel, on the Gulf of Aden, Red
Sea.  That data was taken in the 60's.  The more recent parts of the graphs
were based on large numbers of sites for both studies.  They could still
have differences in which sites and where that are in their databases.
Another possibility might be how the data was treated.  If I remember,
GCRMN weighted the data from different areas based on the amount of coral
reef area in the area the data came from.  If this other study didn't do
that, that could be part of the difference.
         Well, hopefully someday this difference will be ironed out.
Meanwhile the curves suggest different things, and different conclusions
could be reached, though each of the two curves casts doubt on the parts of
the other graph that they differ on.
         Sigh.  Well, hopefully it will be resolved at some point.  The
data from the few near-pristine present sites, from their earliest data,
appears to me to provide more support for the view that coral cover
originally wasn't so high, just as the survey of people's memories supports
the high coral cover origin view.  However, there are loads of different
things to consider, among others that there are relatively few
near-pristine areas and they are not distributed in anything close to a
random or representative fashion, and that the graph showing high early
cover is based on relatively little early data which may be
unrepresentative locations.
         Anything else to throw into the mix?  I do not know of any strong
argument based on first principles of ecology that coral reef ecosystems
must be heavily dominated by hard corals if they are only subject to
natural disturbances.  If somebody does, please let us all know.
        Meanwhile, take a look at this second paper.
          As a footnote, I'd point to the new Eddy paper's map of coral
reef diversity.  Almost all groups of organisms on reefs that have enough
data (with the exception of algae) show peak diversity in the Coral
Triangle area: Indonesia, the Philippines, New Guinea north coast, and the
Solomon Is.  This is widely known.  Their map does not show this.  It says
it come from databases on fish and macroinvertebrates.  It shows the
highest diversity in Australia and the Philippines and Japan, second
highest in the USA including Hawaii.  Funny, they color in the whole map
for the USA.  There are no reef corals on the west coast of the US, and
none north of North Carolina on the east coast.  Both Hawaii and Florida
have low diversity reefs on a global scale, the Marianas and American Samoa
are US areas with higher reef diversity, but still well be below the Coral
Triangle (maybe on the order of half that of the Coral Triangle).  The
problem is that for many groups of organisms on reefs, the number of
species known is heavily influenced by the amount of search effort.  Number
of dives, number of expert taxonomists for different groups of organisms,
number of unusual habitats searched, and so on.  So heavily that Hawaii has
more species of reef organisms known than almost any other place in the
Pacific outside of the coral triangle, Australia, and New Caledonia.  New
Caledonia has the highest number of named species found so far anywhere,
over 8000 species, due to more experts on more taxonomic groups having
searched there than anywhere else (See Payri and Forges, 2006).  A MINUTE
fraction of all the species there and elsewhere on reefs has been
recorded.  They just say they got data from databases.  I'm afraid that is
a modern way of doing these studies.  No mention of the effort thing, no
mention of the publications that show the Coral Triangle as the area of
greatest diversity.  That's a major error in my view, no paper on the
geographic pattern of coral reef diversity should be allowed to be
published without referring to the rich literature on geographic patterns
of coral reef diversity.  No paper.  Just searching databases blindly could
blind the researchers to important things.  Likely the people searching the
database have never searched a coral reef for species.  Most people who
have, would know that effort is a powerful variable which can overwhelm
other variables such as diversity gradients.  Especially when your searches
only find a fraction of all the species likely there.  And if you don't get
results that show the center of diversity is the coral triangle, something
is wrong.  Amazing that reviewers would not catch that and especially the
lack of reference to the many existing publications documenting the coral
reef diversity pattern, which differs radically from theirs.  Even
co-authors should have caught that.  Maybe they did and said "let them
publish it anyhow"??
     Cheers,  Doug

Eddy, T. D., Lam, V. W. Y., Raygondeau, G., Cisneros-Montemayor, A. M.,
Greer, K., Palomares,

        M. L. D., Bruno, J. F., Ota, Y., Cheung, W. L. L. 2021. Global
decline in capacity of coral reefs

        to provide ecosystem services. One Earth 4 1278-1285.

Payri, C., E. and Richer de Forges, B. (Eds.), Compendium of Marine Species
from New Caledonia. Documents Scientifiques et Techniques II7, Institute de
recherche pour la Development, Noumea. 391 pp.