[Coral-List] Posting a message

Intenational Coral Reefs Observatory icri.colombia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 20:51:54 UTC 2022

Kate Bailey & Ana Molina,

The Coral-List is an open space to share observations from coral reefs so
all these topics are pertinent. We have evaluated and monitored ecological,
social and economic indicators in coral reefs in the past 30 years. We
based our Observatory recommendations to improve coral reefs conservation
effectiveness on unpublished internal archives of the Colombian Government
since the late 80's,
https://alfresco.invemar.org.co/share/s/2pON05kxQIuDBEqRq3ovag

Our International Citizen Science Program of the past 13 years (Find some
reports on our social media  Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA Twitter in Spanish
@ArrecifesCoral or English @ICRIcolombia YoutubeICRI Colombia and New
Instagram ICR_Observatory ).

Scaridae fishing has been banned since 2019 in Colombia. However, some
islander and international visitors in countries surrounding the Seaflower
Biosphere Reserve catch them illegally. Some claim their traditions. Others
catch what they see underwater no matter what. We gave free
environmental education to fishers that they should catch lionfish instead
(an invasive species to be controlled in the Caribbean Sea, because it is
carnivorous and has better flavor and nutritious flesh).

In the boundaries with Panama and South Western Caribbean Sea some parrot
fish are entangled in big nets as incidental catches as well as other
ornamental reef fishes. Surprisingly enough, lionfishes are not very often
entangled in big nets...

It is expected that areas with massive tourism have overfishing due to the
pressure for high demand. Therefore the high coral reef value for
tourism may be transitory when developing tourism (overpopulation) favors
overfishing and coral reef degradation.

https://www.facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA/photos/3436034299765941

https://www.facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA/photos/2177022709000446

https://www.facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA/photos/841760022526728

We are available to be contacted directly for specific international coral
reef conservation subjects.

Galvis, N. H. y R.H. Galvis, 2016. Colombian citizen science to improve
coral reef conservation. Citizen Science. Proceedings International Coral
Reef, Session 88: 606-619.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314153451_Galvis_N_H_y_RH_Galvis_2016_Colombian_citizen_science_to_improve_coral_reef_conservation_Citizen_Science_Proceedings_International_Coral_Reef_Session_88_606-619

Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis
Directora
Observatorio Internacional de Arrecifes Coralinos
Fundación ICRI Colombia

Rosa Helena
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife

Follow us on:
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia
Youtube ICRI Colombia