[Coral-List] what does this new analysis tell us???

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Tue Feb 8 18:57:13 UTC 2022

I agree with what Phil Dustan said because I watched it all while it was
happening in the Florida Keys. I well remember the dozens of meetings
where biologists would argue endlessly over which monitoring methods we
should use. As a geologist It often reminded me of arguments over how
many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Meanwhile, I was watching
the demise of Florida corals with my own eyes. It started on live coral
areas (named coral reefs) in the late 1970s. I do recognize and commend
coral biologists for attempting to standardize monitoring methods so the
data from other, and later studies, could be compared. It was a noble
effort but using up a lot of time while the corals were disappearing. In
many places it continued until there were virtually few or no corals
left to measure. In addition, it was clearly obvious that the main
causes of coral death were diseases. At the time no one was looking at
disease. All the focus was on anchor and boat damage which was something
plainly obvious and people were being fined for doing such damage. It
was a little more difficult to determine death caused by disease (and
still is) and admitting it was a bigger problem than anchor damage.
Also, admitting the causes for demise could harm financial/commercial
development of the of the Florida Keys. That's not a problem any more
because they are now mostly dead. Finger pointing soon shifted toward
climate change and sewage. That was happening about when we started core
drilling and conducting seismic surveys. Together these approaches
showed that most of what we call the outer reef line consisted of less
than a meter of reef buildup over old Pleistocene age reef limestone.
Over many miles of this outer reef line next to the clear blue Gulf
stream there has been virtually no coral reef build up. What we had been
calling coral reef for all those years consisted of 125,000 year old
Pleistocene coral limestone populated by live sponges, various
gorgonians, sea fans and scattered live hundred-year-old live head
corals. Unfortunately, those live heads are nearly all dead now but live
sponges and gorgonians along with Halimeda and other algae are still
flourishing. I stopped adding to my 50-year-old coral sequence photos
because there were no more live corals to photograph. The remaining
mystery is why did corals not build up a reef in those areas where
corals are lacking? We know those areas lacking coral buildup have been
under water for at least 6,000 years. Can't blame that on sewage (there
were few if any humans in the Keys back then and it can't be blamed on
climate change. The good news is corals did build up reefs in certain
areas of the keys. They are the named reefs, namely the ones with light
houses or other markers to prevent ship groundings. Those coral buildups
mostly grew up to the surface and are as much as 35 feet thick. These
buildups show that sewage and climate change was not a problem when they
were building. Drilling shows those reefs all grew on preexisting
topographic high areas. Unfortunately those and the surrounding slopes
are the areas where most coral death observation have been made. Lets
all hope that the coral transplants now being placed on these areas
survive. Don't hold your breath. Gene