[Coral-List] FW: Coral species extinction risk

Baird, Andrew andrew.baird at jcu.edu.au
Wed Feb 16 22:45:27 UTC 2022

Dear Corallist

In the interests of balance, and as one of the people that helped collect the original data in Dietzl et al 2021, please find below an open access link to Dietzel et al's response to Muir et al 2022.

https://rdcu.be/cGZ1R

I think the most important point in this discussion, alluded to by both sets of authors, is the taxonomic uncertainly in the Scleractinia.

The taxonomic framework we were working with when we collected the data, starting in the last millennia, was fundamentally flawed and remains so today. This does not undermine Dietzel et al's (2021) conclusion that there is no correlation between abundance and Red List status for most species. Indeed, it highlights the fact that most coral species should be described as data deficient.

The bottom line is that no one can correctly and consistently identify most corals to species in most parts of the world. Consequently, any management strategy that relies on the correct and consistent identification of coral species is also flawed. This includes the Red List and most of the relevant legislation in many countries including Australia.

It will take at least a decade before we have a robust taxonomy for the order, even if people start to take coral taxonomy seriously, therefore we need alternatives to the Red List and Endangered Species Acts to effectively manage coral reefs.

Professor Andrew Baird
ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
James Cook University
University Drive, Townsville Q 4811
Bld 19, Room 120
Tel. +61747814857