[Coral-List] FW: Coral species extinction risk

Paul Muir paul.muir at qm.qld.gov.au
Sat Feb 19 06:50:25 UTC 2022

With all due respect, the taxonomy issue raised by Andrew is peripheral to the main points discussed in our comment on Deitzel et al. (2021): we conclude that there needs to be more species-level work on corals, not less.

It is also premature and potentially dangerous to argue that the current coral taxonomy is fundamentally flawed, that no-one can identify corals to species and that any management/research that relies on species identification is flawed. Taxonomy across all taxa is constantly evolving and improving as new techniques and data arise: this has been going on since the "beginning" of the field in the 1700s. But, during that time biology and conservation continued by using the best taxonomy available for each group. We cannot all wait for a certain researcher to Ascend the Mount for a decade before they pass down absolute judgement!? And while the new molecular techniques hold great promise, they are not absolute and will in turn be subject to future change: for example, the use of very small sample sizes and a heavy reliance on post-processing and interpretation of the data mean that they will not be the "ten commandments" of coral taxonomy that some preach. We also cannot afford to wait: in 10 years many species are likely to be lost to local/regional/global extinctions. We urgently need to collect species-level data related to conservation status, susceptibility to bleaching, recovery etc. and begin species-based management to mitigate these extinctions. Ad Doug implied, these data are quite poor, at least for Indo-Pacific corals. We can do this now, while keeping an eye on potential future developments in coral taxonomy.

PAUL MUIR