[Coral-List] new mesophotic reef discovered in Tahiti

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Mon Jan 24 18:55:25 UTC 2022

Hi Doug:

The article isn't clear on specifically where this "discovered" reef is, so
I'm not arguing that this is hype. However, I distinctly remember
organizing a group dive on a very similar reef about 10km east of the ICRS
meeting venue when the meeting was in Tahiti... and in 30 meters of water..
One of my greatest surprises was seeing a "shallow-water branching-coral
reef" at those depths. However, on reaching the bottom we were swept back
and forth about 30m at a time by the huge (and, more important, long-period
ground swell. I remember it vividly because my dive buddy was Paul Enos,
one of the early pioneers of understanding paleo-reef systems from a
geologic perspective. I remember Paul's wife asking me on the dock to "look
out for him" and thinking, "are you kidding"?

If anyone does know where this reef sits on the south shore, please let me
know. This was like seeing "an old friend".

Denny
Giant pristine coral reef discovered off Tahiti

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 8:36 AM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <