[Coral-List] Fwd: Coral-List Digest, Vol 161, Issue 13

Hayley Henderson hayleyrhenderson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 18:25:33 UTC 2022

 All,

I am by no means an expert, just a botanist with an ear to the ground in
coral research, but there may be a reason the article didn't mention the
Tahitian reef's location: to reduce impact on its pristine nature. I'm sure
if you contacted the article authors and stated your research interest,
they might be willing to confirm the location. But for everyone else, they
might not - Tahiti probably has a vested interest in keeping its location a
secret, sequestered away from the prying eyes (and hands and flippers) of
those who might not have such academically- or conservationally-inclined
reasons to visit. If the mysterious reef is any of the locations you
mentioned with powerful bottom current, it might also be a safety issue!

Really, it just reminded me of how the locations of some of the oldest
trees in the world are closely guarded secrets. Food for thought!

Best,
HRH