[Coral-List] Vietnam bans scuba diving to protect a coral reef

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:32:20 UTC 2022

Steve
The damage of recreational SCUBA divers to coral reefs has been documented. The problem is mostly bad buoyancy control and contact with the corals. Uncontrolled numbers of divers hitting the same coral reefs cause even greater damage. A Code of Conduct for both dive guides and divers, as well as basic management of the number of divers can help.
Here is an example of a publication among many:

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc
Science Blog: https://grouperluna.com/