[Coral-List] Seeking PhD Student in the Davies Marine Population Genomics lab Fall 2023

sarah davies daviessw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:08:50 UTC 2022

Hello Coral-listers!

The Davies Marine Population Genomics lab is recruiting a prospective Ph.D.
student focused on fundamental questions about evolutionary and ecological
processes, who is specifically interested in addressing these questions in
marine invertebrates. Our lab is strongly focused on cnidarian ecology,
evolution,  symbiosis, and genomics however students interested in a
diversity of topics are welcome to apply. We encourage scientists from
diverse backgrounds to apply, as we strive to promote historically excluded
groups in ecology and evolution. The PhD student would be accepted through
the Ecology, Behavior and Evolution (EBE) Biology graduate program at
Boston University and be based in Boston, MA. The program offers a
guaranteed stipend (~$35k/year) and health insurance (no dental or vision
unfortunately) for 5 years through a combination of teaching fellowships,
entrance fellowship, and research grants (generally students teach during
the spring and fall semesters and are supported on research stipends for
the summer months).

Students who will thrive in our lab tend to be interested in:

-molecular and genomic approaches with strong backgrounds in quantitative
approaches and bioinformatics
-answering core ecological and evolutionary questions
-fieldwork opportunities, but understand that the majority of research in
our lab is done at the lab bench and the computer
-being a research mentor to high school and undergraduate students through
a series of established relationships with local programs
-increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in science through pedagogy
and outreach

To apply, please send the following to daviessw at gmail.com by September 15,
2022!
1. Current CV
2. 1 page cover letter describing the scientific questions that excite you
and how you will ensure an inclusive environment
3. Contact email for 3 references (academic or non-academic are
appropriate). Letters will not be requested immediately, however references
will be contacted for short-listed candidates.

http://sites.bu.edu/davieslab/join-the-lab/

Thanks for considering!

Cheers

Sarah