[Coral-List] Postdoc in coral genomics at Old Dominion University

Daniel Barshis barshis at hawaii.edu
Mon Jul 18 18:22:04 UTC 2022

Hi Coral-Listers,
    We are recruiting a coral genomics postdoc. Note this is an open search
(i.e., we don't have an internal candidate) and we are looking for the best
fit, not necessarily someone that checks all the boxes so please reach out
to me if you are interested even if you don't meet all the criteria.

The Barshis Lab of evolutionary ecophysiology (sites.wp.odu.edu/barshis-lab)
in the Department of Biological Sciences at Old Dominion University, an "
R1-very high research activity" state university in Virginia, USA, has a
Post-Doctoral Research Associate position available in coral population
genomics. This position is supported by a Paul M. Angell Family Foundation
award to conduct a Genome Wide Association Study (GWAS) to investigate
genomic signatures of coral thermal tolerance across the reefs of American
Samoa. Applicants must have a PhD in biology, marine science, or a closely
related field at the time of employment. A strong background in molecular
biology, genomics, bioinformatics, and experience with genotyping by
sequencing approaches (e.g., RADseq and/or low coverage Whole Genome
Sequencing) is strongly preferred. The successful candidate will be
expected to travel to field sites 1-2 times/year for 3-4 weeks at a time to
conduct field and laboratory work. Competitive applicants will be
comfortable coordinating and conducting research in the field; expertise in
bioinformatics, experience with manipulative coral stress experiments, AAUS
Scientific Diver certification, and multiple first-author publications are
also desired. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to interact
with a broad team of collaborating researchers (
https://www.odu.edu/sci/news/2021/12/climate_change_impac). The appointment
is a one-year position beginning Fall 2022, with the potential for a
one-year renewal. Salary is commensurate with experience. Application
deadline is August 15th, 2022.

Highly motivated and interested candidates are encouraged to apply by
uploading a CV, a cover letter/statement summarizing your interest in the
position, including prior research and future career goals (2-page
maximum), copies of up to two primary research papers (first author
preferred), and the names and contact information for at least three
references to the application website
https://hera.odurf.odu.edu/careers//Careers.aspx?req=22-037&type=JOBDESCR.
Review of applications will begin following the application deadline.

Cheers,
dan

--
Daniel Barshis, Ph.D.