[Coral-List] fire coral is a survivor in the Caribbean

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 22:15:27 UTC 2022

Thanks for sharing this Doug and now Katie!

I see an increase in Millepora in only a few of our Pacific sites, but then
the reefs are mostly more intact and in their original condition. However,
where mass bleaching has caused population die-offs, there is a stark
transformation of shallow reefs from Acropora to Pocillopora and often
onward to Porites, and this appears to be a very strong trend.  Just as in
the Caribbean, Acropora, integral to the original climax community, is
being replaced as stress increases.  This ongoing transItion of Acropora to
Pocillopora on the GBR by AIMS Reef Monitoring is quite good.
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/4a491a1712f94a779c06d339e6310fdf

The state of coral reefs is being monitored by the Global Coral Reef
Monitoring Network.  Unfortunately the GCRMN data only uses coral cover in
their reports, without finer scale generic data, so it does not pick up
phase shifts like this.  While GCRMN found a 14% loss in coral cover over
the past decade, this did not properly capture the extent of the ongoing
global collapse of coral reefs, which appears to be occurring as a series
of cascading phase shifts away from Acropora. Without generic or coral
growth form data in our monitoring, we become plant ecologists wanting to
monitor forests, but using plant cover as the indicator- with grasses,
bushes, and trees all being equal.

Also a note to the IndoPacific restoration people: I recommend focusing on
Acropora, not only because it is the climax community, and not only because
it provides the best and most diverse fish habitat, but also because it is
the first group to go.  Pocillopora and Porites for the time being are
holding their own.  I mention the phase shift, along with some other
current Pacific observations of the ongoing collapse and phase shifts in my
recent ICRS presentation.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIAkO-hN1SM

Kind regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/happy-chickens-for-food-security-and-environment-1/

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 1:55 AM Katie Cramer via Coral-List <