[Coral-List] interesting essay on the bird phylogenetic tree produced by DNA

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 22:41:32 UTC 2022

Sorry I mistyped-  the gene transfer is between species not within
species!

Again:  SOME SEA SNAKES HAVE CORAL GENES!  How cool is that?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 10:34 AM Austin Bowden-Kerby <abowdenkerby at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> matches were found in fish and, in one case, corals."  (Suspected to be via
> an unknown vector organism).
>
> SOME SEA SNAKES HAVE CORAL GENES!  How cool is that?
>
> My question is this:  are the people running these genetic tools trained
> geneticists, or are they mostly skilled lab technicians?  If they were
> the former then they would be aware of the widespread horizontal transfer
> of genes within species, especially those that coexist in the same
> environments and which are susceptible to the same disease vectors.
>
> Doug, I conclude that your perceptions are absolutely right!
>
> Stay safe everyone, there are many dangers out there!
>
> Austin
>

>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 11:27 PM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <
>> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>>        The link to this essay is at the end of my message.  You can. if
>>> you
>>> wish, just skip all the stuff I've written below (as usual it is far too
>>> long, but for some it might provide some perspective and rationale for
>>> why
>>> this essay might be interesting for people working with corals or even
>>> other reef organisms.  I think it raises questions about the phylogeny of
>>> corals.  Anyhow, just look at the link at the end of my message if you'd
>>> like to go directly to it.  Cheers, Doug
>>>
>>> Many of you are likely aware that DNA sequencing (often referred to as
>>> "molecular" studies, but then H2O is a molecule too, and that's not what
>>> they are talking about) has produced results with corals that conflict in
>>> some families with the placement of genera into families produced by
>>> morphology, and in some cases which species go into which genera.  There
>>> are similar conflicts for other groups of organisms, I've read.
>>>         I get the distinct feeling that almost everyone thinks that "the
>>> DNA is right!"  And why wouldn't they?  Morphology has been used for
>>> classification since Linnaeus started the taxonomic system we still use
>>> for
>>> naming, in 1758, 264 years ago.  Everybody knows that trying to sort out
>>> and identify corals based on morphology is a nightmare, perhaps best
>>> documented in Veron's book "Corals in Space and Time."  All of its
>>> weaknesses have been laid out in great detail.  DNA, on the other hand,
>>> is
>>> incredible, it is objective fact, a physical reality, not subjective
>>> opinion like morphology, cutting edge science and technology, which has
>>> illuminated innumerable things.  No one can quibble with the fantastic
>>> science DNA sequencing has produced.  Fabulous things have been done with
>>> it, it is real science, and the methods being used today are always being
>>> improved, it is cutting edge science, such that I joke that DNA
>>> sequencers
>>> are using methods invented last Thursday, instead of over 250 years ago
>>> like morphology.  No wonder almost everybody automatically says "the DNA
>>> right."  People who do the sequencing say that they have a
> [...]
>>> is
>>> well documented.  There are cases like birds and bats both having wings
>>> and
>>> flying, or fish and whales swimming in water (or better yet, porpoises
>>> and
>>> plesiosaurs) in which the selection pressure that produced the
>>> similarities
>>> are obvious.  So it is a ready explanation for these strange things with
>>> corals.  But it is an after-the-fact explanation.  You could use that to
>>> explain anything.  Anything. including saying that frogs are most closely
>>> related to humans and toads most closely related to yeast, if the DNA
>>> said
>>> that.  It has no predictive power; because it could explain anything, it
>>> explains nothing.  The cases in which it has been invoked like bats and
>>> birds have obvious selection pressures that produced those convergences.
>>> But for the coral examples, I've never read or heard or thought of any
>>> hypothetical selection pressure that could produce the coral examples I
>>> quoted above.  None.  Yes, dimmer light in deeper water selects for
>>> corals
>>> to become more flattened.  But notice, it is still possible to tell that
>>> flat Acropora and a flat Porites are in those genera, and aren't in the
>>> same genus due to the flat shape.  It's not only possible to tell them
>>> apart, it's easy and obvious, and it is obvious that they are not the
>>> same
>>> thing.  Like bats and birds, fish and whales.  It is quite possible that
>>> convergent evolution did produce those coral examples.  Or maybe not.
>>> But
>>> again, it is extremely weak evidence if it is evidence at all. It just
>>> makes people feel good.  Unless someone comes up with the selection
>>> pressure that produced it.
>>>         The problem is that not everybody is an expert on DNA sequencing
>>> that is able to evaluate all the evidence themselves, and so people have
>>> decide who to trust,
>>>        So now I would like to point you to an article I just read about
>>> DNA
>>> sequencing and bird phylogeny.  It challenges the view that DNA
>>> sequencing
>>> reveals the "truth" about which species is related to which.  The results
>>> of DNA sequencing of corals are presented to us as reality, this is the
>>> way
>>> it is, morphology was wrong.  We assume that those results are correct,
>>> scientists in white coats who work with fancy machines and chemicals in
>>> laboratories tell us it is.  They are the experts, we have faith in them.
>>>       And that would predict that if different genes were used to produce
>>> the tree of coral life, they would produce the same answers.  Most of the
>>> DNA sequencing used to produce the current view of the coral tree of life
>>> were done using PCR, which can sequence just a relatively few genes
>>> 7?) out of maybe 30,000 in a coral.  Obviously, if other genes were
>>> tested,
>>> they'd say the same thing, wouldn't they?  In fact, a bunch of studies
>>> have
>>> done that, tested a gene in the mitochondria, and several in the cell
>>> nucleus, and they tell very similar stories.  There can be no more
>>> independent stretches of DNA than in the mitochondria and nucleus, can
>>> there?  That's replication.  Case closed, the DNA doesn't lie.   DNA
>>> results are true, morphology is unreliable, it misled us, it's just plain
>>> wrong.
>>>
>>>       The bird studies sequenced the complete genomes of many bird
>>> species.  To quote the essay:
>>>
>>> "When they told their tree-building software to focus only on regions of
>>> the genome that Prum’s team used, it produced a tree that looked like
>>> Prum’s. When they shifted focus to other regions, a very different tree
>>> emerged. When they divided their bird genomes into thousands of different
>>> parts and ran each through their software, they got thousands of
>>> different
>>> trees, and not one completely matched the “species tree” they had
>>> constructed from large portions of genomes. “Different parts of the
>>> genome
>>> have different stories,” Gilbert realized."
>>>
>>>       It seems that for birds, at least, different parts of the DNA don't
>>> always tell the same story.  If the different parts tell us different
>>> stories, which story is right?  Or is this just a science journalist who
>>> doesn't understand science and got it all wrong??  Or maybe it is just a
>>> problem with birds, it doesn't apply to corals??  (They argue it applies
>>> humans.)  Or maybe our assumption that evolution was like a tree is