[Coral-List] coral ancestors

Kosmynin, Vladimir Vladimir.Kosmynin at FloridaDEP.gov
Wed Jul 27 19:49:25 UTC 2022

Hi Doug,

Thank you for sending the link to interesting article.  Just a short note on the subject of the article. Nice artistic reconstruction of fossil polyp. However, I doubt that mentioned in the article organism is the oldest known relative to living animals.  It is not the oldest known organism that can be considered a predecessor of modern Cnidaria either. Fossils of Vedian-Ediacarian time (~570-680 mln yr ago) had notions of single and colonial polyps, and meduzoid organisms from the time of description of Vendian period, and some of meduzoids were gigantic in size, like of ~ 1 m in diameter. So, just to make sure that readers of our list (those who are not paleontologists) wouldn't think that this is a new discovery of coral ancestors. Polyps of Vendian period known for 60-70 years, from the time Russian paleontologist Boris Sokolov introduced that period and described it's fauna.
I guess somebody in our list is "real" coral paleontologist and may provide better comments on modern views of coral ancestry as well as about the finding described in the article.

Best,

Vladimir N. Kosmynin

Message: 2

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 08:23:39 -0700

From: Douglas Fenner <douglasfennertassi at gmail.com<mailto:douglasfennertassi at gmail.com>>

To: coral list <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov<mailto:coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>>

Subject: [Coral-List] oldest known relative of corals discovered and

               named

               <CAOEmEkEUA44=ssb0AwaSBBBP77vRMXgF=1P5K8pYKu5JF4sUig at mail.gmail.com<mailto:CAOEmEkEUA44=ssb0AwaSBBBP77vRMXgF=1P5K8pYKu5JF4sUig at mail.gmail.com>>

David Attenborough gets a namesake: the oldest known relative of living animals

560 million-year-old creature shares traits with both modern jellyfish and corals

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1qclltK8c_44MZkZO71EooFkxJ65acpgi0lAln1uSFZmUqqzAQVw5GrzE0OksgFqo053pPiJXwBLuprS4dkbVJhmUA9pl53j18I74nGilzbi9mwG3SDkGpf6q-5hGfi791eNKaDEFCZiy-wCcn0i-UbKkD_oHxjEa5yzpOISXR_xj7jlBpyRCqP-vBdbRCgyroOHJ6-jYQ7Zcr67APXlTr5Y50SU-Sba-aSk5AsFVuwnNYKscV3TeOtw__Z8OA1FEoHfnTI0ULePLyCvVTcAbyw59h6eoVSf7ZvyP0NaHZkUmwRltnD-chwRufXtV-mc5jgiKJzO691pg6VpdmoomDg/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.science.org%2Fcontent%2Farticle%2Fdavid-attenborough-gets-namesake-oldest-known-relative-living-animals

Fossil found in the UK

Cheers, Doug

--

Douglas Fenner

Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor

NOAA Fisheries Service

Pacific Islands Regional Office

Honolulu

and:

Coral Reef Consulting

PO Box 997390

Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799-6298  USA

[Dep Customer Survey]<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Vladimir.Kosmynin@FloridaDEP.gov>