[Coral-List] SCTLD has reached Bonaire

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 01:54:52 UTC 2022

I recommend that anyone interested in the facts about SCTLD should look at
the 40 or so peer-reviewed papers published in the Special Research Topic
on SCTLD published by Frontiers in Marine Science.

https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/16501/stony-coral-tissue-loss-disease-in-the-caribbean

Cheers,

Bill

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 9:38 PM Todd Barber via Coral-List <

> It seems somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction, especially since we really don't
> know how SCTLD spreads, but we have some good clues that it's from ballast
> water from ships...not spread by divers.  Although I believe we need to
> protect our reefs, we really should be doing it with real knowledge not
> just overreactions that could have other unintended consequences.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Todd R Barber
> Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
> 712 Portia Street North, Nokomis, FL 34275
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/712+Portia+Street+North,+Nokomis,+FL+34275?entry=gmail&source=g>
> 941-720-7549 (Cell & Google Voice)
> toddbarber Skype
>
> www.reefball.org <http://reefball.org>(Reef Ball Foundation)
> www.artificialreefs.org (Designed Artificial Reefs)
> www.reefbeach.com (Reefs for Beach Erosion)
> www.eternalreefs.com (Memorial Reefs)
> www.reefball.com (Reef Ball Foundation)
>

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 8:42 PM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <
> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:
>

> > We recently discussed the closure of a reef in Vietnam to divers in an
> > attempt to reduce stress. They are temporarily closing some reefs in
> > Cozumel as well.
> >
> > Now, Bonaire has closed a popular dive spot (Karpata) in an attempt to
> > contain SCTLD which has just recently been detected there.
> >
> > Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this strategy and what do we know at
> > this point about how the disease spreads?
> >
> > Bonaire has managed to avoid SCTLD up until now.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Steve

William F. Precht

 “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice
you have”

Bob Marley

"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't
have the strength."

Theodore Roosevelt

"Courage is the foundation of integrity"

Mark Twain