[Coral-List] SCTLD has reached Bonaire

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 01:49:48 UTC 2022

This is not good news but expected as the disease continues to rVage its
way across the Caribbean.

The only reason that Bonaire was able to escape it until now is it hadn't
yet spread throughout the southern Caribbean.

Unfortunately, it was just a matter of time.

The lesson we learned from the spread of white-band disease that affected
the acroporid species in the 1970’s and 1980’s is that it took about 10
years for the disease to spread and decimate populations Caribbean wide.

Well, looks like history may repeat itself as SCTLD started in late 2014.
So we are not quite 8 years into this conflagration. :-(

Ugggg

Bill

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 8:52 PM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <

> We recently discussed the closure of a reef in Vietnam to divers in an
> attempt to reduce stress. They are temporarily closing some reefs in
> Cozumel as well.
>
> Now, Bonaire has closed a popular dive spot (Karpata) in an attempt to
> contain SCTLD which has just recently been detected there.
>
> Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this strategy and what do we know at
> this point about how the disease spreads?
>
> Bonaire has managed to avoid SCTLD up until now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

William F. Precht

 “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice
you have”

Bob Marley

"Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't
have the strength."

Theodore Roosevelt

"Courage is the foundation of integrity"

Mark Twain