[Coral-List] Thank you for your action on equity and inclusiveness - ICRS22

elisa.bayraktarov at gmx.de elisa.bayraktarov at gmx.de
Tue Mar 1 14:17:43 UTC 2022

Dear Coral-List friends and colleagues,

I’d like to update you on our open call for action<https://www.dropbox.com/s/pl1b0owsm4qzn7a/Open%20letter%20to%20ICRS%202022%20Organisers_EB_PM-M.pdf?dl=0> on equity and inclusiveness to the ICRS 2022 Organisers and congratulate both the ICRS Organising committee and the ICRSociety for making a commitment to encourage participation, inclusion, and engagement for the upcoming ICRS in July!

Some of you will have received the emails that ICRS is now offering a free registration for all ICRS 2022 ONLINE presenters currently employed and residing in low, lower-middle, and upper-middle income economy countries (as defined by the World Bank<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0iVPCROA2Mfv6kk1zH97S6X?domain=datahelpdesk.worldbank.org>).

I firmly believe that this is a huge step towards diversity, equity and inclusion. Avoiding groupthink and fostering an inclusion of a wide range of perspectives as well as local and/or traditional knowledge will become paramount for finding innovative solutions to the global coral reef crisis. This was also the essence from yesterday’s press release on the 6th IPCC report exploring climate change impacts, adaptation and vulnerability.

Given our request was met by the ICRS, my co-chair Phanor and I are now both happy to take on our roles as chairs of symposium 13D:

Effectiveness of regional coral reef restoration approaches - what can we learn from the Caribbean and Eastern Tropical Pacific?

If you are currently employed and residing in low, lower-middle, and upper-middle income economy countries and have previously submitted an abstract for this or any other symposium at the ICRS 2022, please consider applying for the free registration as an ONLINE presenter. There is still time to submit abstracts until March 9th.

Take care everyone! I can’t wait to hear your wonderful ideas and results at the first ICRS which actively promotes diversity, equity and inclusion within 50 years of operation!

“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” – Harriet Tubman

Cheers,

Elisa