[Coral-List] Urgent: Kill fishery of Goliath Grouper in Florida

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 18:46:59 UTC 2022

Matthew
for specific questions about the regulations of the kill fishery of the endangered Goliath Grouper, you need to contact directly FWC https://myfwc.com/

As a scientist doing research on Goliath Grouper for several years, I can only answer one of your questions:

"Did they pick the smaller size range of fish because they could possibly be eaten, ie not toxic enough to cause illness?"
The initial sizes proposed were even smaller. The sizes approved are larger, because, as per FWC Commissioners "it was not enough of a trophy", revealing the true purpose of this kill fishery. The sizes approved for the kill fishery have high methyl mercury content, to the level that it is a serious health concern and a danger to public health. Unless you want to have impaired brain function, permanent neurological disorders, and erectile dysfunction.

There is no scientific support for the kill fishery, and the community at large is against it. All the evidence has been provided extensively to FWC Commissioners and FWC staff. Yet, they decided to ignore it and approve the kill fishery.

Notice, Goliath Grouper is under a 1990 federal and state moratorium on harvest. A kill fishery of one of the last ocean giants still alive has been approved in Florida state waters, ignoring scientific evidence, during an environmental crisis in Florida (e.g. collapse of the Indian River Lagoon), during both a global biodiversity crisis and climate crisis. This should make us pause and re-evaluate where we are going.

Here is a short video explaining why it is so important NOT to kill Goliath Grouper
 https://vimeo.com/262453693

Here is a review paper compiling what we know so far about Goliath Grouper and why the species needs protection:
Koenig CC, Koenig, Coleman FC, Malinowski CR (2020) Atlantic Goliath Grouper of Florida: To Fish or Not to Fish. Fisheries Magazine 45 (1): 20-32
https://marinelab.fsu.edu/media/3878/2020_koenig_et-al_goliathgroupe-fisheries_distrib.pdf

And you can always browse through posts in my blog
 https://grouperluna.com/

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc
Science Blog: https://grouperluna.com/