[Coral-List] bleaching on the Great Barrier Reef

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Sat Mar 19 19:41:36 UTC 2022

If the extent of bleaching is being determined mostly by aerial surveys looking for white reef areas with minimal ground truthing, can the observers distinguish between dead, algal covered reef and live coral reef both of which can look similar from way up high unless (they are using LIDAR or some such more sophisticated tool that can distinguish between the two)? When I look at the comparison of bleaching patterns between 2016 and 2020 in the figure in the link to article titled: "Great Barrier Reef found to be coral bleached from north to south for first time" [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-07/great-barrier-reef-most-widespread-coral-bleaching-on-record/12107054] at  the bottom of the current link, it looks like the areas that bleached in 2016 didn't bleach in 2020 but maybe that's because the reefs were brown colored from algae and not coral.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
EMAIL: alina at cisme-instruments.com
Website:  www.cisme-instruments.com

CISME IS NOW SOLD BY QUBIT SYSTEMS; https://qubitbiology.com/cisme/