[Coral-List] Declining interest in coral reefs??

John Ware jware at erols.com
Wed Mar 30 13:56:03 UTC 2022

Hello to all,

I acknowledge that I am very much an amateur in coral reefs in general,
but I have done a few things.  One of the things I have done was to
predict (admittedly in Reef Encounter) that trends in coral reef papers
would occur.  My predictions have come true: that the number of papers
and the number of authors per paper that appear in Coral Reefs has
increased, dramatically.

One thing I have observed recently is that the number of papers dealing
with coral reefs in Science and Nature has declined markedly: 36 in
2018, 25 in 2019, 20 in 2020, and 3 in 2021. (Publications in 2018
probably triggered by the GBR event.)

Here is the question that I hope someone out there can answer (or cares
enough to answer):

Is the combined number of papers on coral reefs in Nature and Science
decreasing because there is reduced interest in coral reefs, or because
some other topic (e.g. Covid) is taking up the space, or are the coral
reef papers being published elsewhere (e.g. Science Advances)??

Any thoughts??

John

--
John R. Ware PhD