[Coral-List] More declining interest in coral reefs

John Ware jware at erols.com
Thu Mar 31 15:40:54 UTC 2022

Hello to all,

In my previous note on this topic I reported the number of papers in
either Science or Nature which mentioned coral reefs starting in 2018.
I received a few comments that I did not go back far enough.

The attached plot presents the stats from 1990 to 2021.  It is tempting
to consider the possible causes for the shape of the curve, but I will
leave that to others.

It has been suggested that the rapid drop of papers in 2021 was due to a
large increase in papers with Covid as the subject, leaving little room
for contributions on the 'minor' topic or coral reefs.

John

--
John R. Ware PhD
SeaServices LLC