[Coral-List] Bioturbulence Proven as a Factor in Ocean Mixing and it's Implications

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Fri May 27 19:44:06 UTC 2022

https://eos.org/articles/tiny-creatures-may-play-a-difficult-to-detect-role-in-ocean-mixing?utm_source=EosBuzz&mkt_tok=OTg3LUlHVC01NzIAAAGEo_OQQIW0rqNZgyI-5z4UkTpsHp10Uek4dHjh4bgXqzxC0SqtKmfPEA6BYterhbNRI5v4ND60Wn_3l4twA-r0yDS-9ZstGMrMhYqIHcA

The article, which proves bioturbulence for the first time is likely
relevant to overfishing of the oceans in general.  Also I am wondering
about corals and hiw highly branched species can get properly oxygenated
and fed in calm waters, and as branching corals in general do poorly when
fish numbers are too low.  I believe that the fish are the circulatory
system of the corals, dissipating wastes and bringing in oxygenated waters
to the corals at microscale, as well as "dusting off" settling silt and
even sand from corals.  Has anyone studied the topic of bioturbulence in
corals?

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD