[Coral-List] Moray eel behavior

Eduardo Sampaio edusilvasampaio at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:10:21 UTC 2022

Hey,

I thought of scent as well at first, but why would you rub your scent in
your prey's den? Also apparently the octopus came back 40 minutes after and
was pretty chill, so ut doesn't seem that there were leftover predator
cues. My hunch was more in the direction of the moray eel frantically
looking for the octopus due to the strong scent that was there (female
octopus visited by at least two different males recently).. But I think I
like the ectoparasite removal explanation better honestly! The body posture
seems to indicate more a rubbing than a searching behavior.. No, I was sent
this video by the camera operator, so I don't know if they do it in
non-octopus places as well, would be cool to know!

Cheers,
Eduardo