[Coral-List] amazing recovery of corals in the Southern Line Islands after bleaching mortality

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:39:59 UTC 2022

More on the Southern Line Islands, it looks like they are going really
big with this on National Geographic.  This is the promotional clip
https://youtu.be/okaECR2_DzI

Very impressive!   The fish do look to be quite abundant, but of a
golden yellow species I am not familiar with.  They certainly are
doing well on a Montipora dominated reef!
I can certainly see how the beauty and fish abundance would blind
anyone to even remotely considering that this amazing reef represents
a degraded coral population and an alternate steady-state condition.

After looking at the footage from 2009,  I see that the Acropora
population was already very low or perhaps absent.  Could this reef
already have experienced a shift in species, due to the 1987 mass
bleaching event, which lasted for 4-5 months?   The answer to that
question would be found on the beaches, and finding out what species
dominate the beach rubble, as that would show the past reef builders.
This is how we know that tabulate Acropora once dominated Kiritimati
Atoll in the Northern Line Islands, as the beaches are absolutely
covered in it, however the species is now locally extinct since the
2015-16 bleaching event.  We keep searching.

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
22 minute summary of climate change adaptation strategies
https://youtu.be/arkeSGXfKMk
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/