[Coral-List] amazing recovery of corals in the Southern Line Islands after bleaching mortality

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 03:45:42 UTC 2022

I was just alerted to another popular story about the recovery of the
Southern Line Islands that we've been discussing.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/02/1132950728/coral-reef-resurrected-climate-change-bleaching-protection-nat-geo

This one is by the US organization called "National Public Radio."

They provide text on this web page that covers the story and repeats much
of what was on the other web pages we've seen.  But the last part is
something I haven't read about this story yet.  It quotes Enric Sala as
saying:

"It's great to show that protection of biodiversity, protection of marine
life can actually provide resilience to global warming," he said.

Maybe this is partly a problem of the definition of "resilience."  Some
people have considered there to be two processes, "resistance" and
"resilience."  The first being how much damage a distubance causes, and the
second how fast the reef can recover.  Some people use the word
"resilience" to refer to both.  I tend to thing that confuses things,
because it appears to me that the two have very different processes.  I
think there are reports that in remote, protected areas (such as Chagos in
the Indian Ocean as well as the Southern Line Islands), bleaching can kill
corals just as easily as it can in areas heavily impacted by humans.  But
this rapid recovery illustrates that highly protected areas can recover
very quickly.
        One thing is "only" half of the corals had been killed.  Some
places like Jarvis Is in the Line Is right next to the equator lost 90% of
their coral due to high temperature bleaching, as did Chagos in the Indian
O.  Wouldn't be surprising if recovering from 90% loss might be slower than
from 50% lost (??)
      The other thing is "protection."  The southern Line Islands are
protected by vast distances from any humans.  I would be surprised if
Kiribati legally protecting it had much of any effect, they can't possibly
put a patrol boat out there to enforce it, it is way too far away (and
that's not the fault of the government of Kiribati, that's just the costs
of putting a boat out that far and logistics of keeping a boat there all
the time, which are prohibitive).  But I'm not informed on these issues,
I'm speculating.  It does make a difference as to whether this can be
replicated elsewhere.  It is not possible to move other reefs into such
isolated locations, but it is possible to try to protect them with
patrols.  The operative word being "try."  Maybe the great isolation of
these reefs protects them even better than patrols can protect MPAs in most
places.  Plus, there are zero people there, and only a tiny island if any.
So near zero runoff of sediment and nutrients, no other local impacts of
humans.  Maybe that's an important ingredient?   What do people think?

    A second thing.  On this web page, there is a blue stripe below the
title and authors, which says "5-minute listen."  If you click on that,
you'll get a 5 minute sound track from the radio show.   He says that the
spillover of fish from protected areas, fishermen catch more fish than
before.  I think that is a point that is debated by at least some fisheries
scientists, such as Ray Hilborn.  Hilborn says that while there may be more
catch just outside the MPA boundaries than there was in that location
before the MPA, that increase does not compensate for the loss of fisheries
inside the boundaries of the MPA.  My impression is that it is easiest to
demonstrate the increase in larger fish inside the MPA, not as easy to
demonstrate that the fish catch outside the MPA has increased, but I don't
know of any demonstration that the increase in catch outside the MPA is
larger than the loss of catch inside the MPA.  Does anybody know of an
example of a demonstration of that on a coral reef??
      Total catch is something that fishermen and fisheries scientists see
as a goal.  Protection, preservation, and recovery of natural ecosystems
are things that conservationists see as goals.  MPAs are put in place for
conservation purposes and can serve that purpose well even though they are
not panaceas, but in many places they have to have support of fishermen to
be successful, and that requires the fishermen to see good fish catches.
So for conservation, helping fish catches outside can help conservation
inside an MPA.

     Oh, and my understanding is that you are quite right about coralline
algae being more sensitive to acidification than coral.  I think that is in
part due to the fact that they secrete high-magnesium calcium carbonate,
which dissolves easier in low pH water.
       Cheers,  Doug