[Coral-List] New paper on coral within-population variation in heat tolerance

Adriana Humanes adrihumanes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 09:33:35 UTC 2022

Dear Coral-List Members,

Just wanted to share Coralassist Lab latest paper:

"Within-population variability in coral heat tolerance indicates climate
adaptation potential"

Individual variation in heat tolerance is one of the components for coral
adaptation to higher temperatures. To estimate heat tolerance variability,
we exposed corals from a single reef to an experimental marine heatwave and
found that double the heat stress dosage was required to induce bleaching
in the most-tolerant 10%, compared to the least-tolerant 10%. We show that
under an ambitious future emissions scenario, such differences equate to up
to 17 years of delay until the onset of annual bleaching and mortality
conditions. For coral reefs to persist through the coming century, coral
adaptation must keep pace with ocean warming.

The paper is open access available here:
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2022.0872

Best regards,

Adriana Humanes

www.adrianahumanes.com

www.coralassistlab.org

Postdoctoral Research Associate

Ridley Building 2
Newcastle University
Claremont Road
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 6441 <+44%20191%20208%206441>