[Coral-List] A lesson for the coral sciences

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 5 16:22:26 UTC 2022

It is interesting that you took it that way Gene, but I interpreted it differently.

I was thinking more of the idea that science “should be seen as a project that does not just describe the world, but brashly wants to change it”. In this way I was actually envisioning coral scientists as advocates for change as in consistently displaying a greater willingness to emphasize the need to clean up our oceans, address climate change and alter the way we interact with the natural world as the primary prerequisites for “saving” coral reefs.

“We must learn to see science as a vehicle, not a dodge for human agency: something we are right to make demands of, right at times to get angry at, whose terrible failures it must own along with its triumphs”. To me this brought to mind the idea that if coral reefs continue to decline and if societies continue to choose not to aggressively address major stressors such as water quality and climate change, then the coral science community may need to prepare to accept increasing levels of criticism for their collective failure to sound the alarm with adequate forcefulness.

And again finally . . .

“A science that people will follow must lead”.

I thought Dr Fauci did lead and led effectively at least for those who value science. He wasn’t perfect, but he followed the science and pointed the way out all while being undermined, usurped and even threatened by his detractors. I wish we had more like him in the coral science community who would be willing to speak truth to power.

Regards,

Steve