[Coral-List] A lesson for the coral sciences

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:30:32 UTC 2022

Great message Bill,

It is necessary to open our minds and speak up about the coral reef's
future and the role of scientists https://youtu.be/6xKjG48zvEI

Being optimistic, it is to consider that it is still possible to avoid
coral reef destruction and further degradation. We must express our concern
that developers are hiring some scientists to justify coral reef pollution,
dredging, overfishing and other threats to coral reefs with promises to
restore them after the megaprojects that will produce continued
disequilibrium to the ecosystems.  This is not a personal attack against
anybody or any business in particular, the one who feels alluded to will
have proved the fact that he or she is involved or making a living by
supporting unsustainable development.

Scientists should not approve this behavior as the future of coral reefs is
at risk. Better to illustrate developers with sustainable alternatives
where to implement their projects instead of denying negative impacts on
coral reefs.  Stop hiding the reason of failure of conservation programs
that guide the poor investment to tackle the causes of coral reef
degradation, and the lack of accountability for biodiversity conservation.
Otherwise, it may hamper the international efforts to protect life below
water. According to Xu et al. 2022 other reason of failure in biodiversity
conservation is the lack of effective national targets in accordance with
the Aichi Targets
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348767162_Ensuring_Effective_Implementation_of_the_post-2020_global_biodiversity_targets_Nature_Ecology_an_Evolution
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348767162_Ensuring_Effective_Implementation_of_the_post-2020_global_biodiversity_targets_Nature_Ecology_and_Evolution>
 Nat Ecol Evol DOI: 10.1038/s41559-020-01375-y

Three of the four SDG14 targets due in 2020 were not achieved, with the
fourth target only partly achieved.
https://www.wwf.eu/?360550/Failing-SDG14-EU-on-a-cliff-edge-for-ensuring-a-sustaina
<https://www.wwf.eu/?360550/Failing-SDG14-EU-on-a-cliff-edge-for-ensuring-a-sustainable-ocean>

*All the best for Reef Futures 2022,*

*Nohora Galvis *
*International Coral Reef Observatory*
*Twitter in English: @ICRIcolombia*
*Observatorio Internacional de Arrecifes Coralinos *
*Twitter en Español: @ArrecifesCoral  *
https://www.facebook.com/ICRObservatory/
*Instagram ICR_Observatory *                   *Youtube ICRI Colombia*