[Coral-List] Call for Abstract Submissions to the 5th APCRS held in Singapore for the Session: "Drivers of the biodiversity and functions of Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems in the Asia Pacific region

Michel Pichon michel.pichon at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 27 11:58:35 UTC 2022

Dear colleagues,

The 5th Asia Pacific Coral Reef Symposium  ( APCRS 2023 :
https://www.apcrs2023.org/)  will take place from 18th to 23rd June 2023 in
Singapore . Within the frame of this event a session entitled:
 "Drivers of the biodiversity and functions of Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems
in the Asia Pacific region"
within the theme "Marginal reef environments"
 Aims and content of the session : Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems (MCEs) remain
poorly known in the Asia-Pacific region. Yet, given the species richness of
the area, they are expected to harbour a significant, albeit largely hidden,
potential for biodiversity and ensuing ecosystem functions. In this session,
we will discuss the role of key and sometimes little-known drivers acting in
MCEs, including geological, oceanographic, and biological factors. This
session will be multidisciplinary, and we welcome a broad range of
contributions that address the hitherto unrecognized aspects of the
biodiversity, community structure, zonation, and ecological processes at
play in MCEs and their contribution to the overall resilience of coral reef:
ecosystems.
Chair :
Patrick Cabaitan, University of the Philippines Marine Science Institute,
The Philippines
.
Co-chairs :
 Michel Pichon, Museum of Tropical Queensland, Australia
 Frederic Sinniger, University of the Ryukyus, Japan
 Alex Wyatt, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
 We do encourage you to submit an abstract for a presentation. The deadline
for submission is 30th  November 2022. Abstracts are to be submitted
electronically to https://www.apcrs2023.org/.
We look forward to meeting you in person in Singapore, next June
 Sincerely,
 Patrick Cabaitan, Michel Pichon, Frederic Sinniger &  Alex Wyatt