[Coral-List] Coral reefs under threat

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 23:06:55 UTC 2023

Doug, good points.

The corals in the shallows of Fiji get exposed for an hour or two during
extreme low tides every year, and they mostly survive, although if a hard
rain falls during that time, it can result in high mortality.  Corals in
areas with wave action get re-wetted repeatedly and so they do not suffer
as long as the waves and swells occur, but corals in the calm areas do get
more stressed, and often will bleach slightly in the exposed areas, or the
exposed parts will sometimes die. Not all species react the same. The
Diploastrea massive corals, for example, are much more sensitive.  Next
time you go out in the water, notice that the Diploastrea corals of the
subtidal boundary form flat-topped "microatolls" at a lower level than the
Porites colonies, about 20-30cm lower, and sometimes with flat-topped
Porites sitting on top of them.  I assume that these Diploastrea colonies
show us the extreme low water mark for the spring tides, as they die when
exposed, while the Porites colonies show us the mean low tide level,
growing up as high as possible, and being able to easily survive the spring
tides while exposed.

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 10:31 AM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <