[Coral-List] Coral Reefs Optimism

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 13:26:33 UTC 2023

The fact that the species observed spawning were species that spawned on
their expected dates and times makes this mass abortion hypothesis pretty
weak.  Whether or not these gamete bundles will be viable or not is another
question since the corals - both the Acoporids and Orbicella’s - have
sexually reproduced and recruited extremely poorly (non-existantly) for
decades throughout the Caribbean.

Although there is a high cost associated with reproduction, it is
imperative to perpetuate the species -  this is the biological imperative!
Therefore, heavier than normal  gamete production maybe be triggered by a
thermal stress event - that may be what we are witnessing here in Florida
during this horrific heatwave

I have witnessed this before in corals that have been stressed from
disease.

Bill