[Coral-List] Coral Reefs Optimism

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 17:40:28 UTC 2023

Dear Austin and Coral listers,

It is positive that coral spawning observations have coincided with high
temperatures, coral bleaching and events of morbidity and mortality in the
Florida Keys
https://twitter.com/livwilliamson/status/1688964220321206280

The reason to worry about of course is that Planulae are even more
sensitive to high temperatures than adults (Bassim, K., & Sammarco, P.
(2003). Effects of temperature and ammonium on larval development and
survivorship in a scleractinian coral (Diploria strigosa). *Marine Biology*
, *142*, 241-252).

Cumulative stressors should stop at least during this period of hot spots
in summer time. For experiments, you should know that adding more stress to
stressed corals is resulting in even worse scenarios. So it would be easier
in practical common sense to avoid further stress such as exposing corals
to hot air, breaking them in small parts, etc.

We can become more optimistic in the long run, when the daily activities of
the coral-listers are coherent with what we learned from science, by
recommending
how to improve local and global (Reducing threats including avoiding
promoting coral reef destruction and stopping gas emissions that produce
climate change) coral reef conservation effectiveness.

We are waiting to listen more from Dr. Liv Williamson about the success of
the coral spawning in Florida.

We will also hope to get near future reports from natural recruitment
success in the wild from the Florida Keys. Natural recruitment is an
indicator of resilience (Galvis 2001)
https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/umrsmas/bullmar/2001/00000069/00000002/art00047

Cordial greetings,

Nohora Galvis
ICRS World Reef Award Winner
ICRO Transdisciplinary Researcher
International Coral Reef Observatory
Follow us on Facebook.com/ICRObservatory
on Twitter / Instagram / YouTube  ICR_Observatory