[Coral-List] Coral restoration trashing

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 02:06:49 UTC 2023

Bula Doug,

I agree that if we do not deal with the root causes of coral population
decline, that we are indeed treating symptoms not root causes.  However the
treatment for this fatal heat induced condition is not yet available and so
far it is only talk.  The doctors know what needs to be applied but it is
nowhere in sight.  So our patient will be dead long before the long term
cure is applied.  So we deal with the scratches, or we deal with other
acute problems like water quality issues, overfishing issues, physical
damage issues, etc, in the hope that it will help.  But without a massive
transformation away from carbon or some unknown cooling or civilization
ending event like a super volcano or carrington level mass coronal ejection
event, we will not be able to prevent the demise of coral reef systems.

The patient analogy breaks down as the injury has not yet been
fully inflicted, and there are still some very healthy reefs.  This is why
I use the forest analogy.  Do foresters continue replanting trees during a
major drought or when a firestorm approaches?  I think not!  Perhaps now
restoration practitioners will also realize that they can not continue to
plant corals the same way that they did in the past, in the face of
increasingly severe marine heat waves.  New coral focused approaches are
needed, as the best we can do is to preserve coral biodiversity by whatever
means we have until we see better days.

The situation is increasingly grave with the recent ocean heat spike.  The
last holdout in the South Pacific, Tuvalu is now predicted to be heading to
condition two bleaching by November, the first time in their history.
Funafuti Atoll contains the most amazing thickets of Acropora I have ever
seen, reminiscent of the Discovery Bay Jamaica populations of the 1960s.
The largest colonies of thick-branched Acropora corals that I have ever
seen, with individual colonies of some species like  A. florida some 5-6
meters across, many located within a shallow hot lagoon area.  The mass
die-off of these corals would be tragic, and so we are working with an NGO
in Funafuti and are trying to raise the funds right now for some major
action- to move samples of as many of these colonies out to cooler waters.
We will be updating the Global Giving plea specifically for Tuvalu, but for
now this is what we have.
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/super-corals-for-reefs-of-hope-in-warming-oceans/

The data will be simple: numbers of genotypes and species secured into
cooler nurseries under shade, their health and survival over the subsequent
months as compared to the source colonies remaining in warmer waters, plus
the logger data from donor and nursery sites.

We are also continuing this approach in our Fiji sites, and are seeking the
funding to do major collection from the extensive hot pocket reefs off the
north shores of the main island, which to date still contains amazing
populations of heat-adapted corals, whose days may be numbered.  Visit
these amazing sites on Google Earth to fully appreciate this fleeting
opportunity.

If anyone wants to assist or to get their own data on the developing event,
please contact me.

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/super-corals-for-reefs-of-hope-in-warming-oceans/

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org
http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/happy-chickens-for-food-security-and-environment-1/

On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 6:04 AM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <