[Coral-List] Another Approach

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 03:06:37 UTC 2023

Phil,  a good out of the box idea and it might work if it were well
coordinated and controlled.
But there are several problems I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Reef keeper aquarists may mix species from different oceans or contain
them in the same room, and thus disease organisms, and symbionts and
microbial communities might be shared, and if so, then how can they be
reintroduced safely?
2. If the power goes out due to any longer term disturbance, then
everything dies.
3. The marine aquarium industry is responsible for introductions of many
invasive species into the Caribbean, so it is a can of worms.

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA

On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 6:26 AM Phillip Dustan via Coral-List <