[Coral-List] EIA Supporters of Coral Reef Destruction and distracting sophistry

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 22:39:49 UTC 2023

Dear All,

It is great to read increased participation at the Coral List over the last
week. However, I was expecting more scientific answers, links to papers and
scientific facts supporting experiments based on breaking coral colonies
such as increased survivorship, fitness and biodiversity of coral
fragments kept at nurseries, labs and outplants versus coral colonies left
untouched in controlled sites where there is effective protection from
local threats. Control in experiments is critical for internal validity,
which allows to establish a cause-and-effect relationship between variables.

It is a waste of energy to try to label good or bad guys without supporting
arguments, when at the end of the day, all agree with the money driven
decision making, lack of political will and the developers pressure to hire
and contract restoration practitioners who will support their
megaprojects.  So let us stop the distracting sophistry to agree that coral
restoration is treating the symptoms, not the causes as Dough clearly
mentioned.

This message has a new subject as we are criticizing ONLY the supporters of
unsustainable development with coral restoration. Academic and
scientific research institutions should not feel alluded by our direct
questions if they are not involved in those practices around the world.

Replying to some messages:

Luiz: We enjoyed your twitter posts about coral reef fish so we were
expecting your comments about the inconvenience of removing Butterfly fish
and improving fish restoration practices as coral reef restoration should
be viewed as integral ecosystem intervention not just with coral species.

Austin: We met at the ICRS 2016 in Hawaii and agree on some of your points
https://www.facebook.com/ICRObservatory/photos/pb.100064541925895.-2207520000/1068951883140873/?type=3

That is why, I quote your lines as we agree on those. "It is a minority
voice at this point.  Since 2016, I have been trying to convince other
restoration practitioners to stop using the numbers of coral fragments
planted as their primary measure of success, but rather to focus on
bleaching resistance and the number of coral species and genotypes secured
from demise, within areas of reef with good prospects for survival into the
future.  In my view, each coral species should be viewed as an endangered
species over the long term, and our goal being to do everything we can to
keep each species alive and genetically diverse and in reproductive
condition.  Few have incorporated this into their work and so now we see
the result".

Paul: We agree with your crystal clear messages about what without passions
of hurt egos, we should conclude about how to handle the decision making
driven by the funding bodies /politics that favour "high tech-quick fix"
projects over more grounded conservation biology. Top-ranked coral reef
conservation researchers e.g. *Jeremy Jackson, Nancy Knowlton, Terry
Hughes, Peter Glynn, Peter Sales, and other well known scientists *should
be on the boards to evaluate the effectiveness of the practices restoring
the coral (And other coral reef taxas/ organisms) since most of the money
(from the funding bodies, governmens, international initiatives and
research institutes) is going to restoration projects, to at least
provide some balance and common sense.

We need to stop serving a distracting fallacy trying to divide us again
between the ones who do (ecological, social and economics) research to find
and tackle causes of coral reef degradation and the ones who receive the
funding to do coral restoration by allowing EIAs and government budget
expenditures to focus only (or mainly) on breaking millions of coral
colonies to distract the attention from find alternatives to destructive
practices and development projects that cause local and global threats to
coral reefs of the world.
It is a pleasure to listen to new voices in the Coral-List.
Nohora Galvis
ICRS World Reef Award Winner
ICRO Transdisciplinary Researcher

*International Coral Reef ObservatoryFollow us on
Facebook.com/ICRObservatoryon Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
ICR_Observatory*