[Coral-List] corals can eat their zooxanthellae

Butler, Caleb ccb5308 at psu.edu
Mon Aug 28 17:47:19 UTC 2023

Thank you Dr. Bowden-Kerby, well said. As a student in the field working on my PhD, it can be intimidating to participate in such a widely distributed listserv that many well established researchers participate in and read.

Dr. Szmant, I echo your sentiments about understanding the literature and caution for sensational messaging. However, our field needs to focus on developing a culture of conveying critism in a constructive way. As I’m sure you know, the field is growing rapidly with more and more information entering the field, and yes, those of us entering the field need to go back to historically important literature, but we also must keep up with the accelerating amount of information coming from other institutions. I think we all need to reflect on ways to reward and evaluate one’s due diligence, scholarship, and creativity in ways other than paper counting. I have heard other PIs, from this field and others, echo these sentiments throughout my doctoral program.

Furthermore, it is nice that you have a wonderful book collection, but textbook prices have increased substantially through the years, to the point that we students are having to apply for grants just to buy a single book sometimes (nor does timing align with free time between jobs, projects, etc)! Yes, we have access to libraries and digital collections (if our institution is able to pay for it), but I am sure you can agree that does not compare to the privilege of having your own copies.

Instead of publicly attacking researchers for a lack of understanding or knowledge on the literature, we should be approaching this through a lens of constructive criticism, empathy, and what we can do about it. Many people in our field have made great efforts in writing reviews about previous literature, coming together to create helpful documents to direct the future of the field, or putting in the work to overcome barriers that may be present in understanding the literature, whether that be access, time, or even language barriers. One great example is “Concerning the cohabitation of animals and algae – an English translation of K. Brandt’s 1881 presentation “Ueber das Zusammenleben von Thieren und Algen” by Dr. Thomas Krueger (2017).  I think we can agree these documents are wonderful and should be celebrated! But let us not forget that it is normal for us to make mistakes, we are only human, and we can work better on our communication skills to come across as caring individuals that want to improve the science without breaking the scientist. We must create a welcoming environment for others that are entering the field, interested in the field, or still learning about it.

Best to all,
Caleb Butler
--
Caleb C. Butler<http://calebcbutler.com/>
Ecology Ph.D. Candidate | LaJeunesse Lab

________________________________

Dear Alina,

The fact is that many on the list are educators, field workers, managers,
and technicians, should be understood.  Also, many of us have families and
full time jobs, with very little free time.  Even for the professional
scientists, it is impossible to keep up with all aspects of our field:
cellular biology, biochemistry, immunology and coral diseases, genetics of
host and symbionts, ecology, taxonomy, geology, etc.   So while I highly
respect all of your contributions to the field, and I understand that this
judgemental/ belittling/ competitive trait is a cultural thing dominant in
the USA and in some ways expected, others in the field provide better
models for what I think we should be striving for, as far as respect for
mental and professional diversity, with the aim of working together with
more unity of purpose. Many just think what you wrote- few write it, so
thanks for being honest.

Yor post provides a perfect talking point for something that has troubled
me for decades.  It is an example of why so many are insecure about asking
questions on the list and in conferences etc- it is for fear of being
judged, belittled, and ridiculed.  My academic experience was frankly
horrific- not because of the course material, which was amazing, but
because I was often judged for being mentally divergent and being a
Baha'i.  Your reply brings all of that back. But to the young people out
there who feel intimidated or somehow different- it is my mental divergence
(dyslexia and mild autism) but that and persistence have been my greatest
strengths over the long run, because it has allowed me to connect the dots
of the various facts that are not well linked by others or in the
literature. My being so impacted by the unkindness of our academic culture
also forced me into much kinder and more respectful cultures like what I
experienced in Puerto Rico for my PhD (Muchas Gracias mis amigos!), and
then for my life's work in the Pacific Islands (Vinka, Korba, Talofa,
Sulang, Kinisou, Kalagan, Tankyu).

Attitudes in academia do matter, especially when dished out those well
accomplished and highly respected. It is sad that sensitive people and
those from gentler cultures are faced with a system that is starkly
judgemental and unkind, on top of being filled with immense pressures.
While some may be able to deal with this, some of us can't, but it does not
have to be this way.  How many amazing talents have dropped out of academia
due to this?  We have so much that needs to be transformed in our world,
not just the energy production and economic systems, but also social and
educational systems.

We need all hands on deck, we need everyone reading this to become part of
the solution. Never think you are lesser than others, nor exalt ourselves
over others.  And if you are mentally divergent- I advise you to stop
trying to become like others and to find your super powers!  The world
needs superheroes right now!

Loving regards to all,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.corals4conservation.org%2F&data=05%7C01%7Cccb5308%40psu.edu%7Cddd4a0643f19485f0a0808dba71efbe4%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C638287523738823900%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=R%2FirkeV6opDwsd0Aa1%2F7U7dJbTSl1%2FQMHgiJSQ1IKjw%3D&reserved=0<https://www.corals4conservation.org/>
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mdpi.com%2F2673-1924%2F4%2F1%2F2%2Fpdf&data=05%7C01%7Cccb5308%40psu.edu%7Cddd4a0643f19485f0a0808dba71efbe4%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C638287523738823900%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=DsK9CJJCwSelchddWXCj4nuG%2BW0u%2FOblCOptbV5UJUU%3D&reserved=0<https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf>
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBG0lqKciXAA&data=05%7C01%7Cccb5308%40psu.edu%7Cddd4a0643f19485f0a0808dba71efbe4%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C638287523738823900%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=2%2F4PHiwYgDMKLTqIShvfoyRo0Oj4ZGVGBp3cr1WID4E%3D&reserved=0<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA>
https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.globalgiving.org%2Fprojects%2Femergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching%2F&data=05%7C01%7Cccb5308%40psu.edu%7Cddd4a0643f19485f0a0808dba71efbe4%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C638287523738823900%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ArkkLyWGIVLsHcMzSlKULW1WzRirhq6AhwuiwXnBpqA%3D&reserved=0<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>