[Coral-List] SCTLD on Bonaire

Judith Lang jlang at riposi.net
Tue Jul 25 14:35:59 UTC 2023

Thanks Alina!

I was getting ready to remind the four-eyed butterflyfish hunters that there are other possible biovectors for SCTLD in the Caribbean. The infection could also be carried by common invertebrates like coralliiophilid snails and fireworms, even perhaps Diadema during their nightly grazing excursions in areas with large enough populations for that, or by some other fishes. And don’t forget the plankton that corals catch to eat and even formites (Adey et al. 2019, Front. Mar. Sci. 6:678. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2019.00678)--like the quasi-particulate organic matter that’s present in reef environments.  Similarly, although the distribution of the first few infected areas of the Caribbean precludes initial travel there via ocean currents from Florida, ballast water is not the only possible mechanism by which the pathogen(s) can be transported by ships or smaller vessels.

My personal wish is that these valid concerns about "the on-going anthropogenic disasters” be focused on the elected officials, businesses and all other parties who bear most of the responsibility for these catastrophes, and still resist making the corrective changes that even they acknowledge are necessary.

Judy

Judy Lang
www.agrra.org