[Coral-List] relatives of influenza in corals (Douglas Fenner)

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 23:39:18 UTC 2023

Thanks Anthony Priestas from the United States Army Corps of Engineers, for
acknowledging that the #Dredging Project for the #Miami #Dade #Port started
in 2013, before the sighting of the first sick Coral Colony with SCTLD
https://twitter.com/ICR_Observatory/status/1632841501305708544?cxt=HHwWgIC9vbesgqktAAAA

According to a post of Dr. William Precht:
"We still know so little about this disease - but it is worth noting that
the (leaking) pipe of the CMD-WWTP on Virginia Key that dumps 150 million
gals treated wastewater per day into the Atlantic was only about 250m from
where the disease was first spotted".
https://twitter.com/BillPrecht/status/1628788605899481088?cxt=HHwWgIC9ze-mz5otAAAA

The transdisciplinary research is dedicated to learning from different
disciplines including listening to the communities and including them in
Citizen Science so we can get reports from what we can not see in our short
field trips. For example, it is relevant to identify human activities and
changes in coral reefs when it happens.

We are in March, 2023, and there is still sewage going to the sea, other
sources of pollution continue (at local and global scales), as well as the
destruction of coral reefs. This makes it difficult to implement the
Objective of Sustainable Development 14: Protect Life Below
Water. Microbiologist monitor the prevalence of bacterial pathogens and
their emerging resistance patterns

https://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0718-560X2018000500880

My point is that unsustainable development is happening everywhere in the
Caribbean Sea, even in marine protected areas close to coral reef areas. It
is not vague on the basis of evidence that may prove a relationship with sewage
pollution on the sea, dredging, enlargement of channels and ports and
subsequent increase in the frequency and sizes of ships may cause
degradation of coral reefs. It is necessary to acknowledge this, to plan
the real recovery of the Caribbean coral reefs.

There is a need to look for other objectives, location and size
alternatives for the megaprojects to avoid further coral reef
deterioration. Only with promises of coral restoration justifying these
megaprojects will it not be viable to recover coral reefs after a high
environmental impact or disease outbreak.

The best way to stop a disease is to identify primary causes / factors and
stop them for effective coral reef conservation #OceanAction14819

Nohora Galvis
Expert in Transdisciplinary research to improve coral reef conservation
effectiveness
ICRO, International Coral Reef Observatory.
Follow us on Facebookcom/ICRObservatory
Instagram, Twitter and Twitter  ICR_Observatory