[Coral-List] Explosive growth of Sargassum in the Caribbean

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Mon Mar 13 17:55:19 UTC 2023

Thanks Gene for once again weaving the data into a cohesive scenario that starts with:  too many people doing what people do best.... disturbing the natural environment to grow food and other human life necessities. The more people the more disturbance. And this has been going on for millenia.  After all, humanity started in Africa. Most of what you describe has been happening long before the industrial revolution and the rapid increase in greenhouse gas concentrations responsible for recent global warming.  Anthropogenic climate and environmental change and degradation has been occurring for much longer than the rise of global temperature since the boom in use of fossil fuels. And coral reefs are not the only ecosystems affected by human activity.  If you could ask the Sargassum how they feel about all this, they would tell us they love it! To paraphrase a great line from Encanto ("We don't talk about Bruno"): humanity doesn't want to talk about human overpopulation and the cumulative impact of now 8 billion people going about their daily business. There were only 2 billion people on Earth 100 years ago. Not wonder everything is falling apart! Only 4 % of mammal biomass is made up of mammal wildlife. What happened to all the wildlife? They have been killed off as food or decimated by loss of habitat. Their biomass has been replaced by humans and our food animals (plus a few % of pets).

Can't save coral reefs if we have a bigger structural problem to deal with. And yes, social inequality and inequity is a contributing factor but not the main one.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant,  CEO
CISME Instruments LLC