[Coral-List] Coral reef health over time vs human population trends

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 03:08:16 UTC 2023

Austin,
    Thank you for this.  I would add that American Samoa is the lowest
level economy in the entire US system, it is poorer than Mississippi (long
the poorest US state), and Puerto Rico and every other state and
territory.  Yet, I'm pretty sure that it is richer (due to US federal govt
programs every state and territory in the US gets) than everywhere else in
the Pacific except for the other US areas and New Caledonia (which has
significant deposits of nickel and is in the French system).  The GDP
(Gross Domestic Product) per person in American Samoa was about $6000 a
year, last I looked, which is about the median for the whole world (and
that's not personal income, only part of it is personal income).  And
without boring you with details, there are almost no resources here, you
can't sell ocean water or volcanic rock, our most abundant resources.  Just
10 sq miles of nearly flat land.  Situated near the center of an ocean that
covers 40% of the entire planet, nearest big university library as far as
London is from New York.
      Yet American Samoa has mostly high islands, as does Fiji and some
other Pacific countries.  But some are atolls, which are even more
resource-poor.  They have nothing above water but sand, and no natural
running water.  There is usually a freshwater "lens" in the sand, floating
on top of the saltwater that is in the sand.  Has some salt in it, and gets
anything that goes onto the ground into it as well.  If there are people
around, you wouldn't want to drink it  There is essentially NO soil, it is
sand with little else in it.  People learned how to survive there.
     The disparity in incomes drives the movement of people all over the
planet, to get better lives.  Within countries, it has long been expressed
as urbanization, the move to cities for more jobs and services.  In the
Pacific, people have been and will continue to, probably at increasing
rates, move to developed countries if they can.  People in US-associated
areas move to Hawaii or the US mainland.  There are more Samoans in Carson,
California (near LA) than in American Samoa, and there are lots in Hawaii
and most west coast cities.  People in New Zealand-associated areas of the
Pacific move there.  There are now over 9000 people in New Zealand from the
tiny island nation of "Niue" south of American Samoa, and only about 1500
left in Niue.  In American Samoa, the smallest island that used to be
inhabited is 2 miles in diameter and used to have 150 people.  now it has
zero.  The next 3 islands up in size have lost half their population and
now all the chiefs from there live on the largest island.  The population
on the largest island (which has almost all the jobs and services, and
where I and over 90% of all the people live) has long been growing.  Then
the 2010 census reported that the territory had lost population, down by
5000 people.  Most people didn't believe it.  But in 2020 the next census
found that it had lost another 5000 people.  This is typical of many places
in the Pacific.  The reason I'm pointing this out to you is that this may
(may) lead to the lessening of population pressure on local resources, such
as fishing.  In terms of local threats, this could be in coral reefs'
favor.  Of course, global warming, El Nino, heat waves, and bleaching pay
little if any attention to how many people live there, and the people of
the Pacific caused a very minute fraction of the emissions that are driving
global warming that is destroying their coral.
      Yes, fishing pressure in developing countries is for food to keep
people alive.  It varies in intensity, but nearly everywhere there are
people, the largest reef fish species are heavily overfished, that is their
stocks are well below MSY (Maximum Sustainable Yield).  On the other hand,
most fish species on coral reefs are too small to eat, the largest families
of reef fish are gobies, blennies, damsels, cardinalfish and wrasses.  They
are too small, not fished, and so not overfished.  The pressure on fish
depends on their size, for two reasons.  First, the larger the fish is, the
more it takes to feed them, and the ecosystem can't support as many large
individuals as small individuals.  Second, the payoff, whether it is in the
number of people that can be fed or in the money they can be sold for,
increases with fish size.  Fishermen are not dumb, and they respond to
incentives like everybody else.  The net effect is the biggest fish are the
first to go, the hardest hit.
       Those are fisheries in developing countries.  In Florida, there is a
2 day recreational fishing season for lobster, before the commercial
season.  Every year, about 50,000 divers descend on Florida and in 2 days
remove about 80-90% of all the lobsters.  Coral reef fisheries in developed
countries are mainly viewed as recreational.  In Hawaii, there is also a
segment of the fishing population who are not the rich outsiders that come
and buy everything up and just play at fishing for fun, but who struggle in
that expensive place, where they grew up, to put food on the table, and
fish for that reason.  So fishing on coral reefs can be very intensive in
developed countries just as it is in developing countries.
      Cheers, Doug