[Coral-List] Coral reef health over time

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 20:01:01 UTC 2023

Some may be surprised that quite a bit of the Pacific coral reefs are still
in pretty good condition, vastly better than Florida and most of the
Caribbean.  Not perfect, of course, corals may be reasonably good but
everywhere there are people the large fish are heavily overfished and the
medium fish are heavily fished.  You have to get to places with zero people
to see what natural reef fish communities are like.  There are, of course,
exceptions like Upolu Island in western Samoa, where about 90% of the
corals are dead currently.  That doesn't mean that the future doesn't
threaten the Pacific reefs, quite the contrary.  But the reef corals are
currently far from all dead.  That won't last.
     Cheers,  Doug

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 7:40 AM Eugene Shinn via Coral-List <