[Coral-List] new book with lots of photos showing what the Caribbean was like

Steve Gittings - NOAA Federal steve.gittings at noaa.gov
Fri May 5 22:34:00 UTC 2023

I wonder if this "look-back" archive might be an activity of one of the
volunteer or partner-driven monitoring data networks. Three that come to
mind are GCRMN, AGRRA and OBIS.  Perhaps there are others looking for a
core mission like this.  I suspect it would get lost or dropped as a
non-mandated activity in one of the larger government agencies, but for
smaller organizations, I would think it wouldn't be too hard to get grants
or other support for startup.

Steve

On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 5:47 PM Dennis Hubbard via Coral-List <

> Hi Alina:
>
> I am totally in agreement. I have hundreds (thousands?) of dated photos
> (and vertical video with scale) from St. Croix, Puerto Rico, and  the
> Dominican Republic plus others from many other sites throughout the
> tropics. Many are vertical and could  be subjected to some sort of
> point-counting regimen. I am in the process of handing all my cores and
> logs over to a young reef scientist so their usefulness will live on. I
> wish there was a more systematic way of doing such things. A long time ago,
> the paleo community set up the paleo-botany database (PBDB) for people to
> enter their data. There was an effort to get NSF support but I don't think
> it was successful and had to be run on a more ad hoc basis. It would be a
> real shame to lose these records before folks who could provide useful
> contextual information are gone.
>
> Denny
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2023 at 4:46 PM Alina Szmant via Coral-List <
> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> > I have a 3 ring binder of slides taken from 1970 on with my Niikonos 2
> > from Puerto Rico, US VI, some from Bahamas and Curacao. I think there
> > should be a repository somewhere for the non-systematic data points. I am
> > sure that I am not the only one who has this.
> >
> > Maybe the ISRS should consider maintaining such a collection of
> historical
> > photographs.
> >

> > Dr. Alina M. Szmant,  CEO
> > CISME Instruments LLC

Dr. Steve Gittings, Science Coordinator
NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
1305 East West Hwy., N/ORM62
Silver Spring, MD  20910
(240) 621-2414 (Google Voice),  (301) 821-0857 (c1), (301) 529-1854 (c2)

*Follow National Marine Sanctuaries <http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/>*
*and our Earth is Blue Campaign
<http://www.sanctuaries.noaa.gov/earthisblue> on**:*
[image: http://www.facebook.com/NOAAOfficeofNationalMarineSanctuaries]