[Coral-List] coral reefs in 5th (U.S.) National Climate Assessment

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 21:45:53 UTC 2023

Thanks Doug- at last, the truth is revealed- LOL!

Of course most of us old timers already knew this.  But sadly coral
bleaching is not only the biggest cause of coral reef decline, but it is
the one cause of coral reef decline that virtually nothing is being done to
prevent it from killing corals in the field.

The global thermostat clearly "broke" in March, with an off-scale surge of
0.7C which is 5 s.d. above the 1982-2011 mean, and with this occurring even
before El Nino kicked in, https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/
 Have we now entered the "great dying" for coral reefs?  Sadly we still
have no comprehensive or widely recognized strategy to save the corals.

Many in our community have been traumatized by the recent die offs in
Florida and the Caribbean.  I wonder if we have been so stunned by the hit
in the face of losing all these precious corals, and being too involved
with grieving our loss to react or to reach out to help raise the global
alarm- that a massive Lahaina-level firestorm in the ocean is now
potentially spreading to the coral reefs of the Southern Hemisphere?  Yes
it is already warming up down here, yes it is not the best time to break
corals and to move corals, just like it was too dangerous to move the
children in Lahaina, far too smoky and dangerous to move them - so many
decided to shelter in place.  We can not make that mistake.

Where is the publicity and where are the reports on the mass coral die-offs
that just happened throughout the Caribbean?  Will this horrific event be
widely published in the public media- or will the various nations suppress
the facts, protecting their tourism economies from the negative impacts
that happened to GBR tourism after in 2015-16 coral bleaching and die-offs
there. We need strong and clear leadership, and that is not yet coming
forth.

Past thermal stress on the GBR has historically paralleled what the
Caribbean has experienced, which does not bode well.  What will happen to
the GBR when we experience >20 DHW stress levels, which most Caribbean
nations just went through?  The NOAA models, while they look quite bad, may
be under-predicting due to the new off scale thermal baseline, noone in the
Caribbean was prepared for the scale of what happened.  But we must now
open our eyes, and we see that Kiribati is already experiencing record heat
stress- and that is the South Pacific and Australia's front door!   The
next few weeks and months could be our last chance to rescue our most
heat-adapted corals from our hottest reef areas, areas similar to what just
experienced hot-tub-like temperatures in the Caribbean. This could be our
last opportunity to translocate diverse species and genotypes from such hot
areas out to cooler waters, as insurance against losing our most heat
adapted corals and symbiont genetics from our surviving coral populations.
Our goal now should be to secure enough heat adapted coral diversity to be
able to work on resilience-based restoration, focused on cooler reef areas,
which could soon become dominated by dead corals.

Regards to all,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
TEDx talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRLJ8zDm0U
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org
http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/happy-chickens-for-food-security-and-environment-1/

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 12:45 AM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <