[Coral-List] NOAA Report about Port Miami Dredging

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 16:39:38 UTC 2023

Dear Mr Steve Miller, Regional Sales Manager, Restoration Dredge
https://www.restorationdredge.com/contact-us/

Yes, it is scientifically proven the negative impact of dredging on coral
reefs. Some of your citations are also included in the most recent NOAAs
report. There also reports from Miami DERM and Miami Water keeper
interesting to take into account for decision making.

The current situation of world coral reefs provides a wake up call for
scientists who deny local impacts or who only blame climate change, to get
funding for restoration. Dredging and depositing the sediments
(>>Pollution) close to coral reef areas produce negative effects
(cumulative stress and morbidity) that are exacerbated by climate change
(Mortality). Thus, it would be better to look for alternative sites if
dredging is needed must be done far away from coral reefs and with strict
treatment of sewage and ballast water of large ships controlling vectors to
be spread. Instead of allowing ithis unsustainable development with
promises to restore colony by colony with very high mitigation costs and
low effectivity.

The triple crisis that the United Nations pointed out, (local and global
pollution) need to be addressed urgently to avoid further Biodiversity
Loss, if we really want to save coral reefs we should avoid habitat and
ecosystems destruction. That is our recommendation to our dear colleague,
Dr. David Obura who is the new IPBES Chair, when considering science in
improving decision making for effective conservation.

Cordially,
NOHORA GALVIS
ICRS World Reef Award Winner
Director
International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO
Follow us on Facebook ICROBSERVATORY
Twitter /instagram/ YouTube ICR_OBSERVATORY