[Coral-List] Steven Miller

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 15:07:30 UTC 2023

Dear Steven,

Great to have made you smile and to know you are an academic person.
Because you did not have a signature in your first message and you were
supporting the point of view of EIA performed by restoration practitioners,
it was possible to confuse you with Steven Miller (smiller at dredge.com).
According to your message, we both perhaps have a bias. Mine is on
effective coral reef conservation. I simply can not agree with the
scientists that say that they can not ask for alternatives only before the
megaprojects, they should be allowed passively to study what is going to be
destroyed.

Dredging is happening everywhere in the world even in coral reef protected
areas and then blaming only climate change and investing all the
environmental costs in restoration practices but very little in avoiding
local and global causes of habitat and ecosystems destruction, pollution
and biodiversity loss.

Priorities should be clear according to the objectives of conservation or
development. We can not have beautiful healthy coral reefs in sanctuaries
and other marine protected areas if not focus in avoiding massive tourism
(e.g. cruises in key West) Or the coral reef futures goal is to become all
ports close to coral reefs (Florida Keys) and coral habitats (Biscayne Bay)
like this https://twitter.com/PortMiami/status/1709969713613209742

NOHORA GALVIS
ICRS World Reef Award Winner
International Coral Reef Observatory, ICRO Director
Follow us on Facebook ICROBSERVATORY
Twitter /instagram/ YouTube ICR_OBSERVATORY