[Coral-List] New document just released: A Guide for Integrated Conservation & Sanitation Programs & Approaches

Amelia Wenger amelia.wenger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 00:00:57 UTC 2023

 Hi all,

I am very pleased to send you our new guidance document on why and how
conservation and sanitation should work together.

wcs.org/coral/coastal-health-guide

*Did you know:*

   - ~*80%* of the world’s industrial and municipal wastewater is
   discharged without treatment to surface waters, equalling about *300–400
   million tons* of pollution each year

   - *55% *of coral reefs and *88% *of seagrass meadows are exposed to
   wastewater pollution*.*

- Wastewater pollution makes coral reefs and mangroves *more vulnerable to
   climate change, *making management of wastewater pollution one of our
*best local management strategies against climate change! *

The purpose of the document is to:

   1. Create awareness among stakeholders about the impacts of poor
   sanitation and wastewater pollution on ocean health and the importance of
   more integrated solutions.

   2.

   Outline the benefits of an integrated approach for achieving human and
   ecosystem health goals and simultaneously improving climate resilience.
   3. Provide guidance to the conservation and sanitation sectors on how to
   work in partnership.

I hope you find it useful and if so, I encourage you to share it with your
colleagues!

Please reach out if you have any questions or would like to chat about it
in more detail.

Regards,

Amelia

--
*Amelia Wenger (she/her)*

Water Pollution Program Lead
Wildlife Conservation Society

Senior Research Fellow | School of the Environment
The University of Queensland