[Coral-List] Job Opening in Islamorada, Florida with I.CARE

Kylie Smith kylie at icareaboutcoral.org
Fri Jan 5 12:29:01 UTC 2024

Position: Monitoring Coordinator

Salary: $50,000 annually

Location: Islamorada, FL

Anticipated Start Date: March 1, 2024

Application Deadline: January 26, 2024

About I.CARE:

I.CARE is dedicated to restoring the coral reefs of Islamorada, Florida by incorporating local businesses, residents and visitors in the restoration and maintenance of our coral reef communities. I.CARE partners with local dive shops to educate and involve recreational divers in the coral restoration process. Our activities include transplanting corals, performing maintenance on previously transplanted corals, and monitoring organisms in the coral community. To learn more about I.CARE, visit www.icareaboutcoral.org<http://www.icareaboutcoral.org/> or follow us on social media @icareaboutcoral.

Job Responsibilities and Duties:

  *   Coordinate all outplant and monitoring activities for I.CARE
     *   Including working with partnering dive operators to schedule trips
     *   Coordinating with restoration partners to obtain coral fragments for outplanting
     *   Coordinating with veterinarians to obtain veterinary checks on corals as needed
     *   Including maintenance and monitoring of coral outplants, tracking genotypes outplanted on sites, and quarterly surveys
     *   Supervising all interns in monitoring protocols, managing data entry and scheduling activities with interns
  *   Manage I.CARE’s participation in partner’s in situ and ex situ nurseries
     *   Coordinating activities with staff and interns for maintenance needed and cleaning trips / tours with I.CARE divers
  *   Assist with data management and analyses for annual reports and public presentations
     *   Developing summary reports of data to communicate with the team
  *   Collaborate with I.CARE staff and interns to apply 3D models of coral restoration sites to coral monitoring data
     *   May include travel
     *   Materials will be developed for grant and permitting requirements and must meet the schedule dictated by agreements between I.CARE and grant sources
  *   Participate in coral restoration working groups and workshops
  *   Assist with ongoing I.CARE projects including:
     *   Herbivore enhancement program (larval collection, land-based rearing experiments, translocation of adults, in situ monitoring, etc.)
     *   Sponge restoration program (collection of sponges, educational training sessions, transplanting of sponges, etc.)

 Preferred Qualifications:

  *   3+ years of experience in coral restoration and/or related fields
     *   Master’s degree in marine sciences or a related field preferred
  *   Active Dive Master certification
  *   Strong organizational and leadership skills
  *   Ability to work independently and with the I.CARE team
  *   Ability to lift gear up to 50 lbs. and conduct field work on a regular basis
  *   Must have personal vehicle and computer

To Apply:

  *   CV or Resume (2-3 pages)
  *   Letter of Interest (1-2 pages)
  *   Contact information for 3 professional references

 Send application materials to info at icareaboutcoral.org<mailto:info at icareaboutcoral.org> by 5:00 pm EST on January 26, 2024

Kylie

Kylie Smith, PhD
Co-Founder, I.CARE