[Coral-List] Could foreign coral save dying reefs?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 05:00:05 UTC 2024

Our lifestyles are quite incompatible with the survival of coral reefs.  I
completely agree.  But almos no one is vulunteering to give up anything.
The big things are the big greenhouse gas emissions.  Electricity
generation, transportation, heating, agriculture, cement making, and
several others are important contributors.  Likely the big users of
electricity in the computer world are cryptocurrency mining and the NSA.
And then all the other computers together.  But all computer usage together
is a small part of electricity consumpion, I'd be willing to guess.
      If we ask people to give up things they like, I think almost no one
will do it.  Everybody wants someone else to do it.  If we can find ways to
let people still get what they want without harming the world very much,
they may be willing to change as long as they can still get what they
want.  Essentially, that's what we're trying to do with renewable energy,
produce electricity without burning fossil fuels, as far as possible.
People are screaming against banning fossil fuels.  But if we build enough
renewable energy, the power companies will stop buying fossil fuels.  If
electricity is generated from renewables, then electric cars will get
people where they are going and not generate greenhouse gases.  I rented my
first electric car, never even been in one before, on Maui.  It was
FABULOUS.  there are things to be fixed.  When the temperature gets cold
enough, you can't recharge batteries and batteries lose all power.  So
there will be many problems and hiccups along the way.  But if electricity
is generated by renewables and cars are all electric, much less fossil fuel
will be purchased, and if the fossil fuel companies can't sell it, they
can't sell it, they're out of business (surely they will just have much
smaller business and profits.  Oil will still be used for chemical
feedstock that doesn't get burned, and coal will still be used to make
ashfault for roads, and natural gas will still be used to make ammonia
fertilizer (which actually produces CO2, so we'll need ot switch fertilizer
production to a sustainable mechanism.)  It can all be done, it will all be
done, and it HAS to not require any significant sacrifice or people simply
will not do it.
        It will not be easy, but it can and will be done, and it HAS to be
done, and we darn well better do it fast enough not to lose reefs.
        That's my view.  It is oversimplified for SURE.  And there are
loads of other things we have to do too.  But if we don't stop
climate change, we can't save coral reefs no matter what other things we
do.
         That said, we do know corals can acclimate and adapt SOME.  What
we don't know is how much and how fast.  And if we continue with the most
rapid warming it is sure they won't survive.  At the low end of possible
warming, there is a good chance some will survive and hopefully replenish
the reefs.  Best not to bet the farm that they will, though, best to be
ready for the worst possible scenario, and do all we can to avoid it.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 12:32 PM Damien Beri via Coral-List <