[Coral-List] Post-doc opportunity at UNCW

Nicole Fogarty nikfogarty at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 29 19:40:54 UTC 2024

POST-DOC OPPORTUNITY: he Fogarty and Warner Labs at UNCW are hiring a post-doc to focus on developing transgenic approaches in corals. The project seeks to generate new transgenic tools to study coral biology and thermal stress response. This position is fully funded for three years by a grant from the Coral Research Development Accelerator Program (CORDAP). For more informationhttps://jobs.uncw.edu/postings/30797.

The Warner Lab uses marine invertebrates to study fundamental questions in developmental biology and evolution. We do this primarily by investigating the genetic interactions (gene regulatory networks) that are responsible for cell fate decisions and morphogenesis of early embryos and comparing how these networks evolve across long evolutionary distances. We use a variety of model organisms in the lab including sea urchins, sea anemones, and corals. For more information visit warnerlab.org.

The Coral Reproduction and Evolutionary Ecology- Fogarty Lab conducts basic and applied research to better understand the stressors driving coral mortality and how to optimize coral husbandry for restoration. Our state-of-the-art ex-situ spawning facility can mimic conditions in the wild resulting in repeated coral spawning. Our 36 replicate tank system can support experiments where temperature, pH, dissolved oxygen, and light are manipulated, or pollutants are tested. We conduct interdisciplinary research through collaborations with microbial, developmental, and molecular biologists, comparative physiologists, chemists, and restoration practitioners. For more information visit Coral REEF Lab – Home (nicolefogarty.com).
For more information contact Dr. Jake Warner, warnerj at uncw.edu