transplanting Acropora cytherea to MHI (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at coral.aoml.erl.gov
Fri Feb 9 15:21:49 EST 1996

Forwarded message:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 07:10:05 -0500
From: Ursula Keuper-Bennett <howzit at io.org>
To: owner-coral-list at reef.aoml.erl.gov
Subject: Re: transplanting Acropora cytherea to MHI (fwd)

Robert Miller <bmiller at soest.hawaii.edu> wrote:

 The reefs of the main Hawaiian chain
>are now pretty depauperate, due partly to the fact that this area is not
>a good habitat for corals, as Ed pointed out (too much disturbance).

You are right with the too much disturbance part. Only I don't think we
would agree on what "disturbance" means.  Again, I am only reporting here on
the reefs along West Maui but most of them were done in by run-off and
(likely) sewage "management".

Robert Miller then wrote:

>think his proposal deserves careful consideration based on the
>biogeography of the area and not dismissal based on the mere
>presence of numerous examples of bad exotic introductions.

Fair.... but let's make that highly cautious consideration instead.

Robert Miller than wrote:

The
>reintroduction of cytheria should more appropriately be compared to the
>seeding of native plants wiped out by a particularly bad winter.

I recall the damage done to certain areas of Kaneohe Bay because of sewage
outfall and construction run-off.  There was a documentary made on it "Cloud
over the Reef" I believe... It might even be these areas you are considering
"replanting".

Then there is my dive site in West Maui where many of the corals got wiped
out in a single Cladophora bloom of 1989.  The area has experienced annual
blooms of various algaes/seaweeds since then.  What used to be mature P.
endouyxii and meandrina heads are now clumps of seaweeds.

The fact they got so big means for decades that ocean had the right water
quality they required for growth.  These corals were NOT wiped out by a
"particularly bad winter".  Crashing waves (hurricanes) did not do them in.

They are STILL in place only overgrown with seaweeds and algae.  See a
"particularly bad winter" implies your reefs are being done in by nature.
That is not only false but a harmful assertion.  It suggests man has little
role to play but "replant".

Given my experience with Hawaii's lack of resolve to protect its reef
resources, no "particularly bad winter" can match the harm humans do daily
to your oceans.

                      ^                  Ursula Keuper-Bennett
                     0 0                 Mississauga, Ontario
            /V^\     I I    /^V\         Email: howzit at io.org
          /V     Turtle Trax    V\
        /V      Forever Green     V\     http://www.io.org/~bunrab