Economic valuation of coral reefs

Jason Hunter jsh32 at columbia.edu
Mon Feb 26 21:02:51 EST 1996

Working with the International Coral Reef Initiative, we have been tasked to
develop a study on the biological, political, and economic benefits of the
proposed "Coral Reef Peace Park" in Aqaba Jordan.

The primary focus of the study is on the economic valuation of Aqaba's coral
reefs as they exist today, as well as projected net worth after tourist
development. In order to assist us in our study we are kindly looking for
the following information:

- is there a ubiquitous method to determine diver capacity on a particular
reef eco-system (outside of the method used by Dixon et al.);

- what are the average expenditures by divers on a 6 day trip (including
hotels, restaurants, etc.);

- specific information on capacity, development plans, and the general
diving tourist trade in Jordan, Israel and Egypt;

- and following up on Edwina Dominguez message, any general data on the
valuation of reefs from a eco-tourism perspective would be most helpful.

Your assistance in this project would be of immense help.

Thank you,

Coral Reef Workshop
School of International and Public Affairs
Columbia University

Jason Hunter
jsh32 at columbia.edu
http://www.columbia.edu/~jsh32/